A Step-by-Step Guide to Getting your Security Licence
Getting a security officer license in Singapore involves only 3 steps.
Step 1: Apply for Private Security Licence
The first step is to get the security clearance by the Police Licensing and Regulatory Department (PLRD) of the Singapore Police Force. To do so, you would need your Singpass account. For details on eligibility, refer to PLRD’s website.
Note: Malaysians who are keen to become security officers will need a valid Singapore work permit and a Certificate of Non-Criminal Conviction (CNCC), also known as Certificate of Good Conduct to apply for the licence.
- Log in to GoBusiness website
- For step-by-step guide on the licence application, refer to this link.
- If you have prior training/experience, you may apply for training exemption by uploading the relevant documents.
- Make payment of $16.00 (payment can be made via Paypal (Debit/Credit), VISA, Mastercard, American Express or Discover)
- A formal notice of outcome will be send via post after 14 days
- While waiting, you may proceed to Step 2
- Alternatively, you may book an appointment with PLRD for assistance
Step 2: Sign up for Basic Licensing Units
After applying for the licence online, you may enroll for the 3 Basic Licensing Units.
The Basic Licensing Units (BLUs) are the compulsory security courses needed for a security licence in Singapore.
Unless exempted by PLRD, anyone who is keen to become a security officer will have to take and successfully pass the 3 courses below before getting the security licence. It is recommended to take the course in the sequence as follows:
- Guard and Patrol: Provide Guard and Patrol Services
- Incident Response: Handle Security Incidents and Services
- Threat Observation: Recognise Terrorist Threats
For course schedules, please visit: https://aprotraining.sg/course-schedules/#blu-cert
About 2 weeks after successful completion of the 3 modules, trainee may apply for the Security ID card (Log-in to the LicenceOne website to check if the training status is updated)
Step 3: Apply for Security ID Card
To apply for the Security ID card, visit USE Customer Service Centre. The processing fee is $22.50 (with GST). Details of the center can be found below:
USE Customer Service Centre
200 Jalan Sultan #03-24
Contact number: 6291 5145
Monday – Friday: 9am – 5pm
Last Tuesday of the Month: 9am – 1pm
Closed on Public Holidays, Saturdays and Sundays
Congratulations on starting your career in the Security Industry!