The Singapore Workforce Skills Qualifications (WSQ) is a national credential system that trains, develops, assesses and certifies skills and competencies for the workforce. As a continuing education and training (CET) system, WSQ supports the SkillsFuture movement to:
- Promote recognition of skills and competencies to facilitate progression, mastery and mobility;
- Promote holistic development of the workforce through technical and generic skills and competencies;
- Support economic development by professionalising skills and competencies to drive industry transformation, productivity and innovation efforts; and
- Encourage lifelong learning.
- Relevant: A competency-based system, designed to develop job role-specific skills and competencies, as well as generic skills and competencies that are required across job roles.
- Accessible: Does not require academic pre-requisites for entry and recognises prior learning, such as work experience and credentials. Available in bite-sized modules leading to the award of a Statement of Attainment, which an individual may acquire leading up to a full WSQ qualification.
- Progression: Makes available skills and qualification pathways which align to the Skills Framework for the respective sectors.
- Authority: Statements of Attainment and qualifications are quality assured and awarded by SkillsFuture Singapore and/or in partnership with established awarding bodies.
Progression and Career Pathways using the Qualifications
The Security WSQ provides pathways for advancement and career progression for all security personnel. A security officer or auxiliary police officer may be promoted to take on a supervisory role and he may be equipped with the relevant skills and knowledge to manage his team of security officers and carry out his job effectively through the Security WSQ.
Similarly, a security supervisor rises through the ranks to become a Chief Security Officer and to a Security Operations Executive / Manager. By taking up the Diploma in Security Management, the security professional will be equip with the competencies necessary to take on new and added responsibilities. With good performance at work, he may even progress in his career and become a Security Manager.